October 8, 2009

My Dad


This past Saturday, October 3, 2009, my dad was running his 8th marathon. He has been a runner all his life running in high school, college, and continued to run in several races a year. If I had to describe my dad in just a few words, runner, would defiantly be one of them. As he was running on Saturday about mile 18 he started to not feel very well. Of course after running 18 miles your body isn't going to feel that great, and it wasn't anything that made him alarmed. He went through a couple aid stations got drinks and continued to run. He went through the aid station at mile 23 feeling ok, not too great though. Within 1/4 mile of that aid station he collapsed and fell. He says the last thing he remembers before that is thinking that he didn't feel well and should probably sit down. A motorcycle police officer was the first to his aid. A runner named Chad, who is an EMT, came upon him next and began to take his vitals. At this point his pulse was very weak and they could tell it was going fast. A shuttle bus carrying a cardiac nurse happened to be 100 yards away and was flagged down. Kathy, the nurse, was carrying one of the few defibrillators on the course that day. By the time she arrived, CPR was being preformed and he was in need of the defibrillator. They shocked him and his heart started beating again and he gained consciousness. They asked him if he knew where he was and he said "Yes, at the marathon. Did I win?!" Anyone that personally knows my dad knows that this comment alone proved that he was alive because of his sense of humor! They asked him if this was his first marathon and he said "no, but its my last!". Paramedics were called and he was taken by ambulance to the hospital in St. George.

While they were taking care of my dad, my mom was called but because she was waiting for my dad at the finish line and didn't know the number calling her, she didn't answer knowing she wouldn't be able to hear and talk. The paramedics let my dad know that they couldn't get a hold of my mom, and he told them that Devin's (my brother) phone number was on his Road ID on his shoe. They called Devin and he was able to get a hold of my mom to let her know what had happened.

Devin was the first one to arrive at the hospital, followed by my mom a few minuets later. They were both able to see him in the trauma room before they took him immediately to the Cath Lab to find out what was going on. While in the Cath Lab in went into cardiac arrest again for the second time, where they again had to shock him to bring him back. Two stents were placed along with a balloon. He was then moved to ICU where he stayed until Monday morning. After that they moved him to the cardiac floor and he went home Tuesday around noon! He is now home recovering and taking it easy.

My family feels and knows that we are so lucky and blessed to have him still with us. It is apparent that the Lord's hand has been with us through this trial and we know that his work is not yet finished on this earth. As we have looked back on the incident there are many miracles and tender mercies that happened that day.

- Where he had the 1st heart attack is just where there start to be people along the race course so immediate attention was right there
-The shuttle bus that the cardiac nurse with the defibrillator was only 100 yards away, but they had just started to leave but felt they should wait a few more min in the area
-The fact that he was actually running in the marathon is a huge blessing. The doctors said if he would have been anywhere else he would have died, not having the immediate medical attention because the type of heart attack he had (called a Widow Maker) the heart completely stops, and he had 100% blockage due to a piece of plaque that had broken off.
- The Cath Lab doctors and nurses usually aren't there on Saturday's but had already been called in for another procedure so were already there. Being in the Cath Lab when he went into cardiac arrest again was probably the best place since they have all the equipment right there.

I know there are others that I am probably forgetting, but as you can see it is a miracle he is alive. His cardiologist sent him a card that said "Do NOT stop running, it may have saved your life", and just the day after the accident he said he will be running the St. George Marathon next year!

There have been so many people who have helped my family during this time. Family that was able to be there at the time, some who drove down to St. George to be with us, many meals have been brought in by friends and people in our ward, several people who were at the scene came to the hospital to meet my dad, and I know there have been many prayers offered on his and my family's behalf. THANK YOU to all who have helped in any way!

The last few days my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ has been strengthened 10 fold. I know that Heavenly Father knows each one of us individually and knows our trials. I am thankful for the knowledge I have of eternal families, and know that if it would have been my dad's time to go I would see him again. But I am so thankful that his life was prolonged and I have the chance to be with him more on this earth, and especially that our little girl will know her grandpa!

Brian, my dad's brother, standing next to the bed qualified for the Boston Marathon!
Pictures drawn by my cousins
Nurse giving discharge info

His shirt they had to cut off (he bought it the day before!) with Brian's medal and his medal given to him by the race director
The race director came to visit him and brought him a nice backpack of items and a medal!
Going Home!!

12 comments:

tammy said...

Lots of little miracles for your Dad that day! So glad it turned out the way it did.

mCat said...

Tammy sent me over since I'm a runner as well and she knew I would love this post.

Tender tender mercies......

While I am green with envy at anyone who got to run that marathon. (I am sidelined with a stress fracture), I have to say, your Dad has really inspired me.

Thanks for sharing, and I'll be staying around your blog for awhile if that's okay....

Megan Guerrero said...

oh craziness! I was amazed at how calm Cami was when she called me driving back to St. George, but she said it was fine because everything had been such a miracle so she wasn't worried :) You're Dad is so cute in his hospital bed--I'll bet hated being there though...
oh and p.s. my grandpa had the same heart attack at 55 and 20 years later he is still climbing half dome and healthier than anyone i know, so I'm sure you're Dad's gonna meet all his future grandkids.

Jill said...

amazing.... so it probably wasn't the best thing to read after I just watch yesterday oprah (from DVR) about your life changing in an instance.. and cried the whole show.. then read your blog ;) Your dad sounds like a strong man!

Aubree said...

Hi Cassie. Someone pointed me to your store awhile ago and somehow ended up reading your blog. I am in the Folsom 5th Ward and we knew your parents while they lived here. I am so glad your Dad is ok and to hear the miracles that happened. I am sure this was not easy on you either. Stress while pregnant is never fun!

The Wigginton Family said...

Hey Cassie! It's Heather (used to be McKee) now Wigginton. I am so glad your dad is doing better. My sister had told me what happened and I felt awful. And I'm glad I have found your blog...so fun to see what is going on in your life. I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl!

Grandpa 2009 said...

Hi Cassie,

I am so glad your dad is okay, I have been remembering him in my prayers. I am also excited for your first child. Life will not be the same. You will not remember what life was like without her.

Sincerely,

Big P
Grandpa 2009

Dacia said...

I'm so glad he's doing better!

Stacy said...

Heavenly Father has certainly been watching over your family. I am so touched by all that happened. And I got a good laugh out of your Dad's sense of humor- doesn't surprise me one bit!

Camille Larie said...

I love Daddy! thanks cass for doin this! Loves camille

Michelle Thompson said...

We have been keeping him in our prayers and are so grateful he is still around. We plan to go visit him as soon as things settle down with the move.

Kelly said...

Oh, Cassie, I'm so happy to hear your dad is fine. What a wonderful thing it is that you are able to recognize the blessings through all of this. Your dad seems to have a delightful sense of humor. I hope he makes that marathon next year!